Friday, May 9, 2014

The loss of Privacy

           Last night, I turned on the TV in my game room and there was a popup in the middle of the screen. My first thought was "what the heck is this". Then I remembered I had updated the software the day before due to another popup that said there was a new update available. So, I read what this new popup says and it mentions a privacy notice. So, I click the "OK" button to try and make it go away. A large caption opens explaining to me that if I do not agree to the Privacy notice, that I will not be able to use some of the apps on my smart TV. This was very alarming to me because, I usually say no to the sharing of my information. However, I did not want to lose the use of any of my apps, so I agreed. To my displeasure, there was a second box that popped up for a another privacy agreement with the same threat. Even though I agreed to this one as well, I am not happy that I had to make these agreements in order to use my product. Consumers around the world are facing this everyday.  It doesn't seem like we really have a choice in the matter.
        The same thing happens when people surf the web. Many Internet users cannot identify the most basic tracking tool on the Internet: the cookie. In an August 2000 study conducted by the Pew Internet and American Life Project, 56% of Internet users could not identify a cookie. It remains unknown whether individuals can identify more sophisticated tracking tools, such as "web bugs" or "spyware." Your internet usage is being tracked weather you want it to be or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment